Thursday, November 08, 2007

I like this poem.

Hi there
> This poem was nominated by UN as the best > poem of 2006, Written by an African Kid.
When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in Sun, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black
> > And you white fellow
> > When you born, you pink
> > When you grow up, you white
> > When you go in sun, you red
> > When you cold, you blue
> > When you scared, you yellow
> > When you sick, you green
> > And when you die, you grey
> > And you calling me colored??

I got this poem from the mail forwarded to me. I like it a lot as it's very true.
It seems people, not only Thai always look for things to look down on. I can't say that I never do it. But the older I am, the broader my view is, so the less I look down on other people. I always think that why do people like to look down on others or look for other people's faults or mistake? I have found that the answer of this question is it's because of our 'Atta' or the feeling that of 'i' or 'me'. WHy is that? When this thought exists simautaneously with some defilements and cravings, the kind of thought that 'I am better' will normally follow. Something that is 'better' needs to have measurement. And the worldly meansurements are 'success', 'wealth', 'education', 'love'. But sometime waiting for the success and all these things to say that 'I am better' might take a long time as there are always other people better than us. There is no certain point actually. Therefore, the shortcut is to say or look for the weakness of others to say that 'I am better' (as you are worse).

In my opinion, this kind of thought will always bring suffering both mental and physical. You can never be happy with yourself as you compare yourself with others all the time. You tie your happiness and value with other people who are very impermanent and subject to change. How can stable peace and happiness arise in this kind of mind?

Hope you are content with what you have and who you are. Happiness depends on the way we look at the world.

No comments: